Friday, May 16, 2008

Week 10 Mashups

Mashups show how technology is constantly changing and in this case for the better. To be able to combine different applications it can lead to a more challenging webpage for the webmaster to compile and a more exciting webpage for the reader. As the Keir Smith site shows you can travel the world without leaving home through virtual tourism which I think is a great idea. I am not so keen on the map of the teenage murders in London but when it is out their in the public domain someone or some organisation is going to pick up on it and publicise it somehow.

There are definatley library applications for Mashups. To make history more accessiable applications like Voicethread and Big huge labs could be used to bring history to life. To interest the younger members of society who are are more in tune with technology and who often have history projects I can see the value of having then and now photos of the local area with text and maps and using Voicethread to capture peoples stories about their life.

There would also be a value in other areas such as children's and youth services to make the web library branch more exciting but since I can't even keep the c&ya part of our webpage up to date and this is partly because I don't have access to front page and I have the creativity of wet cardboard I don't know if I could come up with the necessary flash ideas and keep it all up to date. The benefit would be I could at least do it through the Internet and not need a specific programme like frontpage. I am thinking that I could start a wiki for childrens services and get rid of the frontpage constructed kids page as I could do the work from my PC. But this is just a future plan.

I tried to create something on Big huge Labs but since I don't have access to any suitable photos as a .jpg and couldn't seem to use someone else's from flickr I have had to give up.

Just to make sure I can remeber what I did weeks ago below is a picture of one of my favourite dog breeds a blue heeler that I found on flickr.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Some great ideas for using mashups. And the best part is that even the less creative "soggy boxes' out there can produce something fabulous!

Love that cattle dog too.

Victoria