Thursday, May 22, 2008

Week 12 - Social Networks

Every week I have undertaken this course I have been able to see the value of every application. But with the social networking side of the Internet I don't see that there is much value in it for me. Yes I know I may be in minority, but I don't want to be one of those people who spends many hours a day or week adding people to a friends list on Facebook. I have enough trouble finding real friends I don't have the time and if I did I do not want to be on Facebook.

Two people have added me to their friends list on Facebook and I have never added anything to it as I couldn't care less. In the library I see to many people on Facebook, Bebo etc and I do wonder what is happening to the world where it seems to be easier to talk online then to have a proper conversation and to become friends with people you don't know. Are we loosing the art of coversation?

In regards to second life, I would prefer to have a great first life then a great one on the computer.

I can see why institutions such as libraries are using Facebook, Myspace and Bebo. To survive libraries do need to adapt to new technology and use this new technology to market libraries to the online user. When a public library is having trouble staffing the desk or keeping up with the shelving etc. I wonder who is going to have the time to create and up date another form of web page to get people interested in libraries. But when petrol gets to be over $2.00 a litre the Internet may be the main way people interact with the library. We are coming into very challenging times.

thank you for a wonderful course. I am pleased I have completed all the tasks. I have added a comment to the PLB wiki which means I have completed the week 5 task as well.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

You raise some important points about social networking sites. Like you, I'm not personally interested in Facebook, but I can see the applications for particular client groups in libraries.
Congratulations on completing Learning 2.0!
Kathleen A.