Friday, May 9, 2008

Week 8 - Answer boards and social searching

Having checked out the Yahoo answer board I do wonder why anyone would bother to put up questions like Who is the Prettiest, who has a receipe for a cake and how to get out of paying child support. I admire the people who answer these stupid questions as they do show restraint with a hint of humour. One answer to the child support question gave me the best laugh I have had all week. I found it interesting the library one didn't look like it had been well patronised.

I do see the benefit in Ask Now, but the social side of answer boards like the Yahoo one seem like a big waste of time.

I do wonder if the future of public libraries will be very little face to face contact with peope as their questions will be answered via the Internet. If so, I find that frightening as I already think that will become second string DVD shops and rooms of computers. While change can be a good thing I do find the future of libraries frightening as I still have 30 plus years work ahead of me. I do know I do not want to spend the next 30 years telling people it is time to get off the Internet.

I love people with to much time on their hands. Her is a Lego version of a Monty Python skit

No comments: